CCR Cave Diver Upgrade
General Requirements & Conditions
The NSS-CDS CCR Cave Diver course is the closed-circuit equivalent of the Apprentice and full Cave Diver courses combined.
Divers using a CCR in an overhead environment should adhere to rules and guidelines to execute dives in a safe manner and develop the skill set to deal with issues within the environment that may arise. This course is designed to develop the physical and mental discipline for cave diving on a CCR.
- In addition to meeting the normal prerequisites for NSS-CDS Apprentice Cave Diver training, students must hold Rebreather Diver certification from a widely recognized training organization and provide proof of a minimum of 25 logged dives and 35 hours bottom time using the same CCR as they will use during this course.
- Students participating in any training program involving planned decompression must possess appropriate certification from a widely recognized diver training organization.
This course is the third stage of training in the series of TDI’s Rebreather Cave Diver development program.
Advanced rebreather cave dive planning, the practical execution of different types of cave systems and scenarios divers encounter are presented. This rebreather cave diving course is not intended to prepare divers for evaluating all facets of cave diving. The objective of this course is to expand and critique previous skills accomplished in the TDI Rebreather Cavern Diver and Rebreather Intro to Cave programs. Emphasis is placed upon dive planning and skill perfection through actual cave penetration.
- Students must be have the TDI CCR Air Diluent Decompression Procedures Diver certification or equivalent.
- Provide proof of certification as a: TDI Rebreather Intro to Cave or TDI Full Cave Diver.
- Provide proof of a minimum of 50 logged dives and 50 hours on the rebreather unit used.
- Divers who are certified both as TDI Full Cave Diver or equivalent AND TDI Air Diluent CCR Decompression Procedures Diver or equivalent may be upgraded to TDI Rebreather Full Cave Diver by completion of all course requirements except:
- Four cave dives are required with a minimum accumulated bottom time of 240 minutes at two different sites. At least two of the dives must be at least 75 minutes long.
- All other course requirements must be met.
- Required in-water skills to focus on integrating the CCR into full cave diving including:
a. Bailout planning
b. Complex dive planning (hub and spoke diving).
c. Complex navigation.
d. Exiting the cave in SCR mode.
e. Exiting the cave with simulated solenoid failure (if applicable).
f. Exiting the cave on open circuit bailout.
g. Demonstrate rebreather unit specific skills in compliance with current level of rebreather certification as outlined in the TDI course curriculum.
Each participant must have:
Closed-Circuit Equipment Requirements
In lieu of sidemount/backmount cylinders and regulators, students and instructors using closed- rebreathers must have: